My Trip to Dubai

Some of you know my work ethic and all that I have accomplished in the past two years. I decided to reward myself by visiting Dubai. I had wanted to visit this city in the Persian Gulf for quite some time now. Over the years, the excitement built up upon seeing the advanced technology and architecture in the United Arab Emirates. I would like to summarize my experience there, through my anthropological eyes.

I arrived in the middle of the night. I took a taxi to a hotel nearby in Deira. I was a bit disoriented as to where the hotel was. After walking around for about 10 minutes, I approached one of the locals. He was easy to identify, since he was dressed in the traditional white garb [chadar]. I addressed him "ya ustadh" [Oh teacher]. He turned around and smiled. Yes, Arabs are very generous and are masters in the art of flattery. I decided to engage in the same spirit. He directed me in the right direction. As I walked to the hotel with all of my luggage, I couldn't help but notice three women dressed in flashy clothing, waiting on the street corner. I knew what they were doing there. The neighborhood wasn't the most posh, but on the fringes of Dubai city. This was the first contradiction to the Sharia environment, which eschews prostitution. The social reality is another thing!

The next day, I moved to the Hyatt Regency. This is such a classy hotel. My room was on one of the upper floors, from where I had a view of Sharqah (Sharjah). 


I went out during the day to observe what the locals do in Deira during the day and night. I noticed the melting pot of cultures therein: Afghanis, Pakistanis, Indians, Africans from every region of the continent,  Filipinos, Thai people, Chinese people, Russians, and sprinkles of local Emirati Arabs, here and there. As I walked in the streets of Deira, I saw many cellphone and car parts distributors. The streets were full of people hustling and bustling to buy and sell. The evening was lit with many colors and odors of the various restaurants, representing all of the cultures therein. As the evening falls, you can hear the "Call for Prayer" "Allahu Akbar...La ilaha ila Allah...." [God is Great...there is no deity but the God...] The streets clear as people rush to the nearest mosque for prayer. After prayer, the streets fill up again. Many men sit on the street corners, where they have their cigarettes and tea. As I observed them, I saw many shattered dreams, broken hearts, and desperate souls. After speaking to many of the taxi drivers, I had come to realize that these men had left their homes and families behind, in search of a better financial future. Dubai offers them this future, but at the expense of loneliness, anxiety, and homesickness. 

The next day, I explored Dubai as the local working class people do, i.e., by metro. I went to many places that day, including the old city [Al Fahidi], Jumeirah beach and marina, and the Burj Khalifa.

When I arrived to Al Fahidi, I couldn't understand what was "old" about it. It's a tourist attraction today, housing a museum, with high rises on the other side of the water front. 


 For brunch, I felt right at home with Krispy Kreme and Cold Stone, yet in Arabic :)




The marina and beach in Jumeirah was a spectacle during the day and a marvel by night. How about camels at the beach?! lol. I'll let you see for yourself.

An interesting note is that there is practically no theft in the UAE. I was told by the locals that no one steals because the authorities always catch the thieves and the penalties are tough. So, you can leave things unguarded in a public place, and you can rest assured that it will be there the next day in the same place. :)


To end the night, I went to see the tallest building in the world, the Burj Khalifa. See for yourself.


I was so happy to be there. I was in awe of the human will to accomplish great things. It is an inspiration to me that humans can achieve great things if we focus and work toward any goal. 

Many months before this trip came to fruition, I had wanted to meet Dubai's senior rabbi, Hakham Elie Abadie. However, I could not find any contact information anywhere. While in Dubai, I had decided to go to have breakfast at one of the kasher restaurants in Jumeirah. I walked in the scorching heat, dressed in a suit, knowing that I would meet someone important. As I walked by the building where the restaurant is located, I noticed a couple approaching me. I couldn't believe it! It was Hakham Elie talking on the phone, accompanied by his wife. I passed by him, not knowing if it was indeed him. I ran back to chase him and then we talked. I was so ecstatic and couldn't believe that Heaven fulfilled my desire of meeting him. I didn't have to investigate, nor ask around, HaGeburah brought him to me. He and his wife knew who I was. We exchanged contacts and parted ways with mutual blessings. 

That same afternoon, I saw Burj Al-Arab, another one of Dubai's wonders.




Here's an interesting note about how the local Emiratis live the UAE. They work three or four days a week. They have enough wealth to import foreigners to do most of the domestic duties for them. This leaves them much leisure to enjoy life. It dawned on me that this is what Hassidim dream of, i.e. having servants from all of the nations to do their work, while they study the Torah all day. Well, the Arabs have accomplished this goal in the UAE. 

I saw many Israeli Jews and non-Jews on the metro. The religious Jewish men wore their skullcaps without any shame. I even witnessed a political discussion on the metro between an Israeli woman and three Arabs from different nationalities. Could this be true? It is so bizarre to me that Jews and Muslims are at war with each other in many countries around the world due to Israeli politics, yet in Dubai, we can all get along in peace. How long this will last? I don't know, but I definitely want to explore it further.

I saw more things and did more things, but this is what I can tell you in a nutshell about my experience in Duba-í (baby locust). 

Ahlan wa-sahalan. Ta'al. Welcome! Come!




Comments