My Trip to Moscow

When I was 11 years old, I used to play a game on Apple called, “Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?” It was my favorite game. I had learned so much about the world and its cultures: currencies, languages, historical monuments, geographical spaces, and cultural nuances. I remembered that I could find this international thief—Carmen San Diego—in Moscow when clues of the flag (Soviet Flag at the time), the Kremlin, or rubles appeared. I had a childhood fascination with the Russian language and architecture. Sometime during my teenage years, this began to change. All of the images of Russia that I viewed came through Hollywood movies. Most of these images portrayed Russia as a war zone. The people were seen as mafiosos and deceitful. Indeed, I was taught (as an American) that Russia and its people were my enemies. After having come to Moscow, I can say that I have been a victim of through indoctrination via national politics and destructive media. Moscow is amazingggggggggg. It is glorious. In terms of its infrastructure and cultural development, it has nothing to envy from the USA. The magnificent ecclesiastical structures, fountains, bridges, broad streets, parks, and variety of shops grace this city. As I walked in the evening, I witnessed night life everywhere. The streets are filled with young, happy, jovial, and exuberant people. I realize that the Russians that I had met in the USA had never come back to their country. They left with a nasty image and became pallbearers of their patrimony. Well, I am now here to tell them and others to come and visit. Life is not easy for people here. Housing costs are extremely high and salaries are low. In fact, a cosmetologist can earn much more money than a specialized doctor in any field. The women in Moscow pride in their exterior beauty. There are salons on every corner of the city. High heels, nails, dazzling hair, lips, painted eyebrows are welcomed. And you thought that Los Angeles or New York were the only ones. Ha!!!!
When I went the Red Square (Kremlin), I had an emotional experience. Two things happened at once! While I stood in front of this beautiful structure, I remembered my childhood hopes and dreams of one day traveling the world. At the same time, there was a youth symphony performing to my left. I remembered when I was 12 years old and had seen kids my age performing in front of large audiences. I began to cry out of joyful ecstasy. I was a kid again. My parents would tell me, “chase your dreams.” Well, here I am. Thank you Moscow. As the Terminator would say, “I’ll be back…hasta la vista, baby.”

Comments