Kosovar Traditional Food

Last night before our 2nd show, our host (Nesim) took us to Tifani Restaurant, where they specialize in traditional Kosovar food. They served us mantis (yogurt and goat meat) with a spread called Ajvar. Next, we were served a huge bowl of salad. After that, the server brought us Elbasan tava (flour cubes filled with meat, covered in cheese). Nesim was disappointed that I didn't try these meat dishes. I told him that I was a vegetarian. If I am able to make a kasher version of these dishes, I will. I did really enjoy ajvar. To end the dinner, I learned how to say "yes" (po) and "no"(yo) in Albanian. The way that I remembered was to associate it to Spanish pollo (chicken), which phonetically sounds the same. When I told Nesim what pollo meant, he starting cracking up.

Comments