Kosovo and Serbia: Two Sides of the Coin

The Kosovars on the south side of the main bridge in Mitrovica love their independence, even though the are not happy with their political leaders and the corruption thereof. Sounds familiar? Those on the north side of the main bridge say that an independent Kosovo is like another Albania, therefore, redundant; they side with the Serbians. Here is some of the corruption: there are 120 political leaders. Most of their children study abroad and have great lives. The rest of the people cannot obtain a visa. The energy cost is so high, such that it can take 1000 Euros to heat a home during the 5 months of winter. That is 200 Euros a month, which is the average salary of an individual. There was one person that tried to build windmills to conduct electricity, and the government shut him down. This nation is torn apart; a bridge divides the north and the south; the south and the north. They are ethnically the same people. Fights break out between them at the bridge all of the time. Taxis from the south cannot cross the bridge, and taxis from the north cannot cross to the south. Military police blockade either side of this bridge, which illuminates a precious blue color in the night. As I talked to the Kosovars on the north side, I noticed that they spoke in Serbian. Everyone that came to the Artic Center greeted me, "Dobrie Vechera" (Good evening). I also learned to say "Vala" (Thank you). After two hours of playing Jazz and taking the audience through a voyage, I thought to myself, "What these people need is peace and quiet." I offered them my song Nostaljia. They offered me 8 cups of Raki. I want to come back and host a benefit concerts. The proceeds would go to the cultural arts centers on both sides of the bridge, that will host my concerts. These people need money, they need vision, and they need practical solutions. Humility is a trait of the Kosovar, regardless of the political views.

Comments